Your Child is using a computer software Accelerated Reader (AR) program at school. This program has a special feature called Home Connect. Home Connect is a fun, easy-to-use, easy-to-understand web-based interface that allows your child, you, and the teacher to share in the educational experience by viewing progress in the students Accelerated Reader (AR) programs while outside of school.
You can view Home Connect from any computer with an Internet connection using these browsers:
– Internet Explorer® 6.02 or later
– Firefox® 1.5 or later
– Safari™ 2.0.3 or later
- User Name: your child’s first and last name (no spaces, no comma, no capitals)
- Password: olps (no spaces, no capitals) if unable to login, contact Mrs. Washington
In Home Connect you can also:
– Click Email Setup to sign up to receive emails showing your student’s quiz or test results in Reading (and also in Math).
– Click Help to get answers to your questions about Home Connect.
In conjunction with AR, we give the STAR Test at least 3 times a year to see the students’ reading progress and to let them know their Proximal Reading Zone. Our Library is set up according to Reading Levels, so that students can more easily find books on their level.The student read books on his/her level, and then take an AR test on each book. The student receives a comprehension score for the AR Test. If the student has a passing score, he/she receives points for that book.
The students will receive 2 Language Arts grades associated with AR.
- Comprehension Grade – each quarter, averaged from all the AR tests he/she took during the quarter.
- Number of Points Grade – Each quarter each Grade Level is assigned to “earn” a certain number of points. The Grade will be a percentage of the points earned. If your child earns all the points, he/she will receive 100%.
1st Grade = 3 points
2nd Grade = 6 points
3rd Grade = 9 points
4th Grade = 12 points
5th Grade = 15 points
6th Grade = 18 points
7th Grade = 21 points
If you have any questions regarding the AR Program please leave a message for Mrs. Washington or Mrs. Mary Rodgers in the front office.